Portland based artist Eric Steen is holding what he calls “a six-week socially engaged art and field-research project into Glasgow’s beer industry and pub culture.” Not being artistically inclined – in the slightest – I’m not quite sure what this means. I do, however, intend to find out. I have more or less committed to producing 100 or so bottles of beer for his Market Gallery Pub event on April 30th, basically a one night showcase for homebrewed beer, which does sound like a lot of fun. If you’re in the area and feel like dropping by, I will look forward to meeting you and sharing a pint.
I was mulling over what to brew at the weekend, which is generally just by whim and what I feel like drinking at that moment. Here’s what i’m (probably) going for. Some of these will fit in with my single hop experiment.
– Single hop IPA (Columbus)
– Some kind of strong hoppy red ale/ipa, possibly with a single hop like Nelson Sauvin or Amarillo
– Vienna lager (maybe with a single hop, either traditional noble or a NZ Saaz type like Motueka)
– Traditional Rauchbier (never brewed one of these… looking forward to it!)
– Hefeweizen (easy to brew…most people like drinking them)
I am starting tomorrow with the IPA. Lots of work over the next few weeks but it’s all about the art!